Monday 6 December 2010

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Today, after regretfully missing school, I was bored out of my mind. The story of my life the past week due to the snow, actually I was looking forward to school that was however robbed from my by one Lewis McCatee. I shan't go into details. I my idle musings I decided to read a book. Discovering that apparently I was an owner of the famous Lewis Carroll's (what are the odds of dealing with 2 lewis' in 1 day.) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I thought it mind be a good read, only 88 pages long and it's world famous after all. Needless to say I was already aware of the general plot for my childhood. I never did see the latest release of it but none the less I knew a little of what to expect. I was not, however, prepared for it.

I shall simply start with a statement, "It is my belief that the name of this book should be changed from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland to the more truthful Alice's LSD Adventures or perhaps simply Alice On Acid." I prefer the latter because of the sexy assonance. I really found it hard to understand why it is a world bestseller. Many parts are clever to be fair, but it sounds childish and not in a good way. Only a few may get understand this reference but it sounds like it wasn't written by an Englishy Person but more a mathematical person. later I was to discover Lewis Carroll was a mathematician.

It is immensely hard to follow not purely due to language but by the incredulously abstract ideas. I was also very disappointed in the ending, it may have been the first time it was ever used but the "and it was all a dream" ending was never really that satisfying. Overall I did thoroughly enjoy many parts of the book but most of the time I was just wondering "Where is this going?" and not in the good suspenseful way. Contrary to my so called review I do plan on ready the sequel "Through the looking glass" purely on the basis that I want to see Alice coming down from her immense Acid high. Perhaps I should write the 3rd myself. I shall, however, require 2 things, a primary school child's writing skills and 4 pounds of a very strong hallucinogenic. I would use Acid but from the sounds of it, it's pretty wild stuff; the kind of stuff that only a seven year old girl named Alice can handle...barely.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment